[Swift-devel] [VOTE] Release Swift 0.6 rc3 as Swift 0.6

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Jun 19 18:51:57 CDT 2008

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, Michael Wilde wrote:

> That was a shame. I think the problem was that somehow we (or I, at
> least) got the impression that I *MUST* test before I can vote.

Yes, that is my impression of the rules too.

> In the past, you cut releases when you felt they were ready, allowing
> people ample time to test and comment.

Right. Also, I tended to make releases without much feedback (as in, I
think this rc is suitable for release, and i've not had any negative
feedback from anyone even if I also haven't had positive feedback). That's
lazy majority approval. For the 0.4 release, that worked quite badly - the
test suite, which encapsulates pretty much all of the testing I do, missed
out on some pretty obvious bugs.

dev.globus makes a specific point that a release cannot be lazy (its
possibly the only vote that it explicitly prohibits from being lazy) -
that would help to avoid the minor fiasco that was Swift 0.4.

I'm fairly happy to make releases the old way, though I would appreciate
the additional testing that is compelled by the dev.globus release
process.