[Swift-devel] [VOTE] Release Swift 0.6 rc3 as Swift 0.6

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 19 18:37:43 CDT 2008

On 6/15/08 10:08 AM, Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Ben Clifford wrote:
>
>> The results of this vote will appear in ~120 hours from now.
>
> That is now.
>
> This action item did not receive majority approval.

That was a shame. I think the problem was that somehow we (or I, at
least) got the impression that I *MUST* test before I can vote.

I think thats where the problem was.

In the past, you cut releases when you felt they were ready, allowing
people ample time to test and comment.

I typically did not have time to test and comment, and was always happy
when you cut a release.

This process can work in one of two ways:

- we cut the committers list down further to just those that are likely
to test and vote.  That would be Ben, Mihael and Sarah.

- we allow/encourage votes from me and/or Ian to say "sure, go ahead,
release - I trust you".  Which in virtually all cases would be the case,
unless in fact we *did* have knowledge or concern over some code issue,
in which case we'd vote.

I'm in favor of the second approach - which basically provides a minimal
gate - a positive ack - from me saying OK to release, which would give
you the needed majority.

So if you want to call this for a vote again, I will vote +1.