[Swift-devel] Drop kickstart, adopt wrapper logs?

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 25 11:06:30 CDT 2008

If you do take this off for weekend work (which sounds like a good idea,
modulo the weekend part ;) lets first set a design decision making
process on the issues that have been raised in discussions to date:

- arg passing
- what it captures
   - time, mem
   - env (in the broad sense)
   - file state
- output format(s)
- snapshotting for monitoring an app run
- controls for start, stop, pause
- how it integrates in CoG, GRAM, Condor, other LRMs, Coaster, Falkon,
and Swift
- how it relates to "accounting" projects in OSG and TG
- ideas on streaming output
- idead on batching output
- interaction with a collective I/O toolkit/model
- other stuff???

Its worth looking at what Jens did in "kickstart v2", what he called
"k2", in the VDS CVS.  It had conventions to deal with passing args in a
file stream rather than command line to tunnel through what at the time
were cli length limits and arg escape problems in Condor

I feel this merits a design effort, and propose that we try this as an
experiment in doing design in a way that can get group input do decision
making in an effective and pleasing way.

Im thinking email discussion but based on a persistent changing document
(bugzilla note, wiki page, or even text in email that we treat as a
doc). Something that when we are done discussing and say "go", we have a
single place that documents the complete consensus to that point.

- Mike