[Swift-devel] remote file/directory stuff (bug 22)

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 4 09:17:19 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 13:38 +0000, Ben Clifford wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>
> > If you can make this translate into something like vdl:(in|
> > out)appmapping(var, path, dest), preferably after the stagein/stageout
> > directives, I can probably make it work.
>
> I have a patch that (at least for input files) makes this:
>
> type file;
>
> (file o) cat(file f) {
>   app {
>     cat "in.txt" stdout=@o;
>     f < "in.txt";
>   }
> }

Shouldn't that be f > "in.txt" and perhaps before "cat"? In a strict
language style, that would vaguely suggest "dump f into 'in.txt'" before
running cat...

> file a <"hello.txt">;
> file b <"output.txt">;
>
> b=cat(a);
>

> turn into this kml (fragment):
>
>     <vdl:execute>
>       <vdl:tr>cat</vdl:tr>
>       <vdl:stagein var="{f}"/>
>       <vdl:stageout var="{o}"/>
>       <vdl:arguments>
>         <string>in.txt</string>
>       </vdl:arguments>
>       <vdl:stdout>
>         <vdl:filename>
>             <vdl:getfield path=""><variable>o</variable></vdl:getfield>
>         </vdl:filename>
>       </vdl:stdout>
>       <vdl:inappmapping>
>         <variable>f</variable>
>         <string></string>
>         <string>"in.txt"</string>
>       </vdl:inappmapping>
>     </vdl:execute>
>
> However, I have no implementation of the <vdl:inappmapping> element. I
> guess its time for me to poke round at the guts of vdl.k a bit more.

1. Using attributes instead of sub-elements may be a little faster.
2. I think the best deal would be to perhaps extend stagein with having
pairs of [localName, remoteName] and deal with that appropriately.