[Swift-devel] LQCD meeting at Fermi

Yong Zhao yongzh at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 1 21:20:29 CDT 2007

They do mention in the discussion that the Swift approach is not much
different from their ad hoc scripts (just because the way we deal with
file names and command line arguments in invoking applications). They said
they wanted something purer ( in the sense of having just procedure
interfaces & data flows, and hiding invocation/mapping/wrapping details).
But I guess neither side (us and them) has a clear idea about how to
actually achieve that.

They also notice the mixed flavor of scripting, imperative programming and
functional programming in the language, they seem to favor the python
style, more functional style of programming language. Also they do not
quite like the @ functions.

I think due to the slow process and also they have been trying to figure
out the language features by themselves, they are a bit discouraged and
disappointed at this point. So we need to get their semi-working scripts
working very quickly in order not to alienate them.

Yong.