[Swift-devel] LQCD meeting at Fermi

Veronika Nefedova nefedova at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 1 18:22:06 CDT 2007

Ian,

they seem like quite a strange bunch to me. Here is my experience
with them.

When I first met them back in April, they gave us their code and
explained what they want to achieve. Within couple of weeks I sent
them the working code for their workflow. It took them another couple
of weeks to start testing it (and it worked for them as well). After
that they said that they would modify that workflow to suit their
production needs. And they've disappeared for another 3 weeks. During
those 3 weeks I sent them numerous emails offering my help *
(basically saying - "give me your production code and data and I'll
make it work for you") - but it was no response. Till last week when
they sent us their code (not working) and questions.
The code is very close to be in working condition, unfortunately they
were "inventing the wheel" instead of asking us for help (like they
spent quite a time trying to do string concatenation without using
the @strcat function). They also did a hack for random number
generator instead of using the function that I sent them (which is
much easier and cleaner way).

So my impression was that they wanted to figure our swift on their
own (which is good) but without our help (which is bad). But now i
think they are ready for us to step in. They mentioned something
about 2 months timeframe when they need to have the things running...

Nika