[Swift-devel] LQCD meeting at Fermi

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 2 03:43:24 CDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 22:50 +0000, Ian Foster wrote:
> Ben:
>
> The question for me is whether they are invested, or just playing with it and finding things that are "wrong" not because they are serious problems but rather as excuses for them not to do more. (I've often experienced that.)

I'm not Ben, but:
So far, I think they've invested quite a bit into Swift, compared to
other things they've invested in. But I would assume they are worried
whether the problems they see will ever get solved, and without
something concrete and somewhat immediate, they might lean towards
believing they might not.

Also, in the same way they disappear for weeks, we also disappear for
weeks on some of their requests. I'm guessing both sides are involved in
more than one thing.

In concrete terms, at one point they had a choice between Karajan and
Swift, and they seem to have chosen Swift.

> So I want to know if they are using it for real work or not. So far things don't look so good--as I understand things, they don't have a working program after what mus be 4-5 months talking to us (?).

They do have "weird" requirements, at least if you start from Swift's
assumptions (which still has issues with being generic). And there's
quite a few of them.

Mihael