[petsc-users] Weird handling of compiler flags by the build system

Stefano Zampini stefano.zampini at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 11:53:21 CDT 2024

> This is not a choice I get to make. The users of my package may choose
> to use PETSc however they want. And /usr/share/petsc/Makefile.user or
> /usr/share/petsc/CMakeLists.txt are officially supported ways of using
> PETSc, so deciding to ignore these use cases and leaving junk flags in
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/petsc.pc is not tolerable for me.

Since you said  "your package", I have a few questions:

- why do your users need to know how to compile with PETSc?
- Shouldn't this be handled by you?
- And also, can't you tell your users how to use PETSc? (for example not to
use the Makefile.user)

> And /usr/share/petsc/Makefile.user or /usr/share/petsc/CMakeLists.txt are
officially supported ways of using PETSc,
Those two files are not the "officially supported ways of using PETSc."
They are examples of how to set up compilations using PETSc.

> leaving junk flags in /usr/lib/pkgconfig/petsc.pc is not tolerable for me.

Those are not junk flags, since they are not part of the pkg config standard
https://urldefense.us/v3/__https://people.freedesktop.org/*dbn/pkg-config-guide.html__;fg!!G_uCfscf7eWS!d-as0YaTKRi7ARzjsQl9IU8ltIJCAw9yJy_g1VbAzfXYDaNPjDiC6o_WhtrhA8K7o1Lm5IAbSM--LkimyiQtut-CuKCpx6A$

--
Stefano