[petsc-users] win32fe?

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at opengosim.com
Tue Jan 31 10:11:23 CST 2023

Hello all,

I am currently having to figure out a way to get petsc working on windows,
using compilers from the intel oneAPI package. This means new compiler
names, such as "icx" for the c compiler and "ifx" for the fortran one.

I see from the installation instructions, and from old notes from a
collegue, how to set up the cygwin environment and to use, e.g.,
--with-cc="win32fe icl" (if using an older intel compiler) when configuring.

Unfortunately,win32fe only workes with a number of fixed (older) compilers,
and simply cannot be made to work with icx or ifx, as far as I can see.
When I try to not use the compilers without win32fe (e.g. --withcc=icx"),
I get a slew of problems when the configure script trys to compile and link
test c programs. It seems that icx works fine, but gets extemely confused
when having to target output files to, e.g., /tmp or /anywhere/non/trivial,
when running under cygwin. Is this the sort of problem that win32fe is
intended to solve?

I can't find any source code for win32fe, nor really any explainations of
what it's supposed to be doing or how it works. Since it looks like I have
to find a way of making it work with icx and ifx, I'm a bit stuck. Can
anyone
provide any insight as to what/how win32 does, or where I can look for some?

Many thanks,

Daniel