[petsc-users] PetscLogView produces nan's instead of timing data when using GPUs

Sajid Ali sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Wed Oct 5 15:47:35 CDT 2022

Hi PETSc-developers,

I'm having trouble with getting performance logs from an application that
uses PETSc. There are no issues when I run it on a CPU, but every time a
GPU is used there is no timing data and almost all times are replaced by
times that are just `nan` (on two different clusters). I am attaching the
log files for both cases with this email. Could someone explain what is
happening here ?

In case it helps, here are the routines used to initialize/finalize the
application that also handle initializing/finalizing PETSc and printing the
PETSc performance logs to PETSC_VIEWER_STDOUT_WORLD :
https://github.com/fnalacceleratormodeling/synergia2/blob/devel3/src/synergia/utils/utils.h

Thank You,
Sajid Ali (he/him) | Research Associate
Scientific Computing Division