[petsc-users] PetscLogView produces nan's instead of timing data when using GPUs

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Oct 5 16:11:22 CDT 2022

  It prints Nan to indicate that the time for that event is not known accurately. But the times for the larger events that contain these events are known. So for example the time for KSPSolve is know but not the time for VecNorm.  The other numbers in the events, like number of times called etc that are not Nan are correct as displayed.

  This is done because correctly tracking the times of the individual events requires synchronizations that slow down the entire calculation a bit; for example the time for the KSPSolve will register a longer time then it registers if the smaller events are not timed.

  To display the times of the smaller events use -log_view_gpu_time also but note this will increase the times of the larger events a bit.

  Barry