[petsc-users] Reuse MUMPS factorization

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:50:09 CST 2022

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 1:01 PM Bhargav Subramanya <
bhargav.subramanya at kaust.edu.sa> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have the following two queries:
>
> 1. I am running simulations using MUMPS through a job submission system.
> Since the job run time is limited, I need to restart the simulations
> periodically. Since I am restarting the simulation with exactly the same
> parameters, for instance, number of nodes, number of tasks per node, etc.,
> is it possible to dump the matrix factors for the first time and reuse it
> for the remaining restarts?

We do not have access to the MUMPS internals, so this is a MUMPS mailing
list question I think.

> 2. In the Ax=b solve, for now, the Matrix A doesn't change. However, if I
> implement a slightly different time integration technique, matrix A changes
> with each time step (sparsity pattern is still the same). Is it possible to
> incorporate a modifying matrix A in the mumps solver?

You can preserve the symbolic factorization, and just carry out the
numerical factorization. I believe we do this automatically if you just
update the values.