[petsc-users] Multiple phi-function evaluations (SLEPc)

Jose E. Roman jroman at dsic.upv.es
Thu Jan 27 11:03:47 CST 2022

In a basic Arnoldi implementation, it would be possible to do what you suggest: run Arnoldi once and compute the three approximations from it. But SLEPc's implementation is a restarted method, where the computed Krylov basis is discarded when the maximum dimension is reached. Not sure how this would interact with what you propose. I think it would be feasible, but there could be issues such as each phi_k function converging at different rates. Also, the user interface for this functionality would not fit well with the current interface.

I am interested in getting feedback from you related to the performance of the MFN solver with your problem, i.e., convergence and timings. If you want, contact me to my personal email and we can discuss further and see if the multiple phi-function stuff can be accomodated in the current solver.

Jose