[petsc-users] Hessenberg Index-2 DAE and IMEX

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 14:32:55 CST 2022

On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 1:39 PM Zhang, Hong via petsc-users <
petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Yes. I am talking about a general usage. To be accurate, direct
> application of these methods does not always work. There are examples of
> high-index DAEs for which backward Euler and all multi-step and RK methods
> fail. You can find one such example in
> https://www.cs.usask.ca/~spiteri/M314/notes/AP/chap10.pdf
> This note also mentions the difficulties in solving the nonlinear system
> and calculating error estimate for index-2 DAEs.
>
> Thus we do not recommend solving index-2 DAEs directly with these methods.

I have an index-2 DAE (earthquake mechanics), and we had to explicitly
differentiate the constraint and add terms back in the
momentum equation. This is also what is done for Navier-Stokes (I think
they call it a segregated timestepping method).