[petsc-users] Hessenberg Index-2 DAE and IMEX

Zhang, Hong hongzhang at anl.gov
Tue Feb 15 12:39:41 CST 2022

Yes. I am talking about a general usage. To be accurate, direct application of these methods does not always work. There are examples of high-index DAEs for which backward Euler and all multi-step and RK methods fail. You can find one such example in
https://www.cs.usask.ca/~spiteri/M314/notes/AP/chap10.pdf
This note also mentions the difficulties in solving the nonlinear system and calculating error estimate for index-2 DAEs.

Thus we do not recommend solving index-2 DAEs directly with these methods.

Hong