[petsc-users] Parallel assembly of a matrix problem

Patrick Alken patrick.alken at geomag.info
Sun Aug 14 23:12:20 CDT 2022

I am trying to assemble a matrix in parallel in Petsc, and it is working
for 1 processor, but when I try running it with 2 processors I get
errors like the following:

----

[1]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[1]PETSC ERROR: Argument out of range
[1]PETSC ERROR: New nonzero at (0,207) caused a malloc
Use MatSetOption(A, MAT_NEW_NONZERO_ALLOCATION_ERR, PETSC_FALSE) to turn
off this check
[1]PETSC ERROR: See https://petsc.org/release/faq/ for trouble shooting.
[1]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.17.4, unknown
[1]PETSC ERROR: #1 MatSetValues_MPIAIJ() at
/data/palken/petsc/src/mat/impls/aij/mpi/mpiaij.c:506

----

and then many MatSetValues errors follow.

I have attached a minimal working example and a Makefile. My code does
depend on the GSL library also. I think there must be a problem in how I
set up the d_nnz and o_nnz arrays for the MatMPIAIJSetPreallocation()
function (lines 211-235 of mwe.c).

I am building a matrix using radial basis functions with compact
support, so the matrix entries are zero when ||Xi - Xj|| >= c, where c
is the RBF shape parameter. This is accounted for on line 224 and 254 of
the code. As far as I can tell I am consistent in the way I define the
nnz arrays and the way I call MatSetValues, so I don't know why Petsc
would need to malloc additional memory during the assembly process.

Patrick