[petsc-users] What does PCASMSetOverlap do?

Zhuo Chen chenzhuotj at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:30:42 CDT 2022

Dear Matthew and Mark,

Thank you very much for the reply! Much appreciated!

The question was about a 1D problem. I think I should say core 1 has row
1:32 instead of 1:32, 1:32 as it might be confusing.

So the overlap is extended to both directions for the middle processor but
only toward the increasing direction for the first processor and the
decreasing direction for the last processor. In 1D, this makes sense as the
domain is contiguous. However, in 2D with domain decomposition with spacial
overlaps, this overlapping would not work as one subdomain can have several
neighbor domains. Mark mentioned generalized ASM, is that the correct
direction that I should look for?

Best regards.