[petsc-users] Is it possible to keep track of original elements # after a call to DMPlexDistribute ?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 18:39:08 CDT 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 5:18 PM Eric Chamberland <
Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I come back with _almost_ the original question:
>
> I would like to add an integer information (*our* original element
> number, not petsc one) on each element of the DMPlex I create with
> DMPlexBuildFromCellListParallel.
>
> I would like this interger to be distribruted by or the same way
> DMPlexDistribute distribute the mesh.
>
> Is it possible to do this?

I think we already have support for what you want. If you call

  https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/DM/DMSetUseNatural.html

before DMPlexDistribute(), it will compute a PetscSF encoding the global to
natural map. You
can get it with

https://petsc.org/main/docs/manualpages/DMPLEX/DMPlexGetGlobalToNaturalSF.html

and use it with