[petsc-users] is PETSc's random deterministic?

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Wed Jul 28 22:17:41 CDT 2021

  The default PETSc random number generator (on CPUs) PETSCRANDER48 is deterministic and should return the same random numbers independent of the underlying hardware and software.

  The manual page for PETSCRANDER48 indicates this.

  As we are moving the PETSc docs to petsc.org <http://petsc.org/> there may be a bit of time before google again automatically finds the most appropriate page. At the moment google and duckduckgo seem terribly confused.