[petsc-users] Saddle point problem with nested matrix and a relatively small number of Lagrange multipliers

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:00:53 CDT 2020

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 12:43 PM Olivier Jamond <olivier.jamond at cea.fr>
wrote:

> Thanks for your answer, whereas being 'sad' to me! Do you have any idea
> how the structure FE code geared toward HPC deals with their Lagrange
> multipliers for their BCs?

I don't use Lagrange multipliers for Dirichlet conditions, just direct
modification of the approximation space.

> Do they 'accept' that cost?

If you have Lagrange multipliers, I think yes.

> To my understanding, I didn't know the Sherman-Morrison formula, and I am
> not sure to see how it applies to my case... Could you please help me on
> that?

SM is a formula for inverting a matrix + a rank-one addition. This looks
like your case with the Lagrange multiplier fixing one degree of freedom.