[petsc-users] Questions about HDF5 parallel I/O

Sajid Ali sajidsyed2021 at u.northwestern.edu
Thu Sep 3 12:19:01 CDT 2020

Hi PETSc-developers,

Currently, VecView loads an entire dataset from an hdf5 file into a PETSc
vector (with any number of mpi ranks). Given that there is no routine to
load a subset of an HDF5 dataset into a PETSc vector, the next best thing
is to load the entire data-set into memory and select a smaller region as a
sub-vector. Is there an example that demonstrates this ? (Mainly to get an
idea on how to select a 2d array from a 3d array using a PETSc IS. Given
that it's a regular 3D vector is it best to use a DMDA 3Dvec which gives
ownership ranges that may aid with creating the IS ?)

I've seen on earlier threads that XDMF can be used to create a map of where
data is present in hdf5 files, is there an example for doing this with
regular vectors to select subvectors as described above ?

Also, is it possible to have different sub-comms read different hdf5 groups
?

Thank You,
Sajid Ali | PhD Candidate
Applied Physics