[petsc-users] MatOrdering for rectangular matrix

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Oct 23 12:02:31 CDT 2020

> On Oct 23, 2020, at 5:05 AM, Marcel Huysegoms <m.huysegoms at fz-juelich.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> many thanks for your explanation and suggestion!! I have a much better understanding of the problem now.
>
> For some reason, I wasn't aware that permuting A by P leads to a symmetric reordering of A'A.
> I searched for the paper by Tim Davis that describes their reordering approach ("SuiteSparseQR: multifrontal mulithreaded rank-revealing sparse QR factorization"), and as you expected, they perform the column ordering of A by using a permutation matrix P which is obtained by an ordering of A'A. However, they are using the reordered matrix AP to perform a QR decomposition, not to use it for a preconditioner as I intend to do.
>
> All in all, I will definitely try your suggested approach that SuiteSparseQR more or less also utilizes.
>
> However, I have (more or less) one remaining question:
>
> When calculating a column reordering matrix P based on A'A and applying this matrix to A (so having AP), then its normal equation will be P'(A'A)P as you pointed out. But P has originally been computed in a way, so that (A'A)P will be diagonally dominant, not P'(A'A)P. So won't the additional effect of P' (i.e. the row reordering) compromise the diagonal structure again?

   I don't know anything about this. My feeling was that since A'A is always symmetric one would use a symmetric reordering on it, not a one sided non-symmetric reordering.

 The RCM order has a reputation for bringing off diagonal arguments closer to the diagonal.  Hence if you reorder with RCM and then use block Jacobi, in theory, there
will be "better" blocks on the diagonal then in the original ordering. I would try that first.

> I am using the KSP in the following way:
> ksp = PETSc.KSP().create(PETSc.COMM_WORLD)
> ksp.setType("lsqr")
> pc = ksp.getPC()
> pc.setType("bjacobi")
> ksp.setOperators(A, A'A)
> ksp.solve(b, x)
> The paper you referenced seems very intersting to me. So I wonder, if I had a good non-symmetric ordering of A'A, i.e. Q(A'A)P, and would pass this matrix to setOperators() as the second argument for the preconditioner (while using AP as first argument), what is happening internally? Does BJACOBI compute a preconditioner matrix M^(-1) for Q(A'A)P and passes this M^(-1) to LSQR for applying it to AP [yielding M^(-1)AP] before performing its iterative CG-method on this preconditioned system? In that case, could I perform the computation of M^(-1) outside of ksp.solve(), so that I could apply it myself to AP and b (!!), so passing M^(-1)AP and M^(-1)b to ksp.setOperators() and ksp.solve()?
>
> Maybe my question is due to one missing piece of mathematical understanding. Does the matrix for computing the preconditioning (second argument to setOperators()) have to be exactly the normal equation (A'A) of the first argument in order to mathematically make sense? I could not find any reference why this is done/works?

  No, you can pass any matrix you want as the "normal equation" matrix to LSQR because it only builds the preconditioner from it. The matrix-vector products that define the problem are passed as the other argument.  Heuristically you want something B for A'A that is "close" to A'A in some measure. The simplest thing would be just remove some terms away from the diagonal in B.  What terms to move etc is unknown to me. There are many games one can play but I don't know which ones would be good for  your problem.

  Barry