[petsc-users] MatOrdering for rectangular matrix

Marcel Huysegoms m.huysegoms at fz-juelich.de
Fri Oct 23 05:05:13 CDT 2020

Hi Barry,

many thanks for your explanation and suggestion!! I have a much better
understanding of the problem now.

For some reason, I wasn't aware that permuting A by P leads to a
/symmetric/ reordering of A'A.
I searched for the paper by Tim Davis that describes their reordering
approach ("SuiteSparseQR: multifrontal mulithreaded rank-revealing
sparse QR factorization"), and as you expected, they perform the column
ordering of A by using a permutation matrix P which is obtained by an
ordering of A'A. However, they are using the reordered matrix AP to
perform a QR decomposition, not to use it for a preconditioner as I
intend to do.

All in all, I will definitely try your suggested approach that
SuiteSparseQR more or less also utilizes.

However, I have (more or less) _one remaining question_:

When calculating a column reordering matrix P based on A'A and applying
this matrix to A (so having AP), then its normal equation will be
P'(A'A)P as you pointed out. But P has originally been computed in a
way, so that (A'A)P will be diagonally dominant, not P'(A'A)P. So won't
the additional effect of P' (i.e. the row reordering) compromise the
diagonal structure again?

I am using the KSP in the following way:

ksp = PETSc.KSP().create(PETSc.COMM_WORLD)
ksp.setType("lsqr")
pc = ksp.getPC()
pc.setType("bjacobi")
ksp.setOperators(A, A'A)
ksp.solve(b, x)

The paper you referenced seems very intersting to me. So I wonder, if I
had a good /non-symmetric/ ordering of A'A, i.e. Q(A'A)P, and would pass
this matrix to setOperators() as the second argument for the
preconditioner (while using AP as first argument), what is happening
internally? Does BJACOBI compute a preconditioner matrix M^(-1) for
Q(A'A)P and passes this M^(-1) to LSQR for applying it to AP [yielding
M^(-1)AP] before performing its iterative CG-method on this
preconditioned system? In that case, could I perform the computation of
M^(-1) outside of ksp.solve(), so that I could apply it myself to AP
_and_ b (!!), so passing M^(-1)AP and M^(-1)b to ksp.setOperators() and
ksp.solve()?

Maybe my question is due to one missing piece of mathematical
understanding. Does the matrix for computing the preconditioning (second
argument to setOperators()) have to be exactly the normal equation (A'A)
of the first argument in order to mathematically make sense? I could not
find any reference why this is done/works?

Thank you very much in advance for taking time for this topic! I really
appreciate it.

Marcel