[petsc-users] MatOrdering for rectangular matrix

Marcel Huysegoms m.huysegoms at fz-juelich.de
Thu Oct 22 09:38:58 CDT 2020

Hi Matt,

thanks for your response!
I haven't studied the recent literature on reordering algorithms, but
came across a talk by Tim Davis, the developer of SuiteSparse, from 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ph4ZQ9oEIc&t=2109s

At minute 33:40 he shows the impact of different reordering libraries
applied to a large least square system.
In doing so, he demonstrates how he achieves a significant speedup when
using the matrix reordering algorithm of METIS/ParMETIS (which is a
multilevel nested dissection). So it seems that METIS is able to compute
an effective column reordering of rectangular matrices for fill-reducing
factorizations. The respective slide of the talk is also available as a
screenshot under:

https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/uploaded_files/173888/image.png

(extracted from a forum post on a similar topic:
https://de.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/275622-large-sparse-rectangular-over-determined-equation-system-to-reorder-or-to-not-reorder)

Considering that PETSc is offering a wrapper to the partitioning
functionalities of ParMETIS, I am wondering, if it might be reasonable
in the near future to also provide an option to use the reordering
functionality of METIS (METIS_NodeND/ParMETIS_V3_NodeND) from within
PETSc? That would be incredible and may be useful to many applications.
I've just seen that MatGetOrdering() even provides an option for
external libraries (MATORDERINGEXTERNAL). Is it maybe already possible
to use the function in conjuction with ParMETIS?

Best regards,
Marcel