[petsc-users] Problems with MKL?

Adolfo Rodriguez adantra at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 10:12:25 CST 2020

I am experiencing a very stubborn issue, apparently related to an MKL
issue. I am solving a linear system using ksp which works well on windows.
I am trying to port this program to Linux now but I have been getting an
error coming from the solver (the matrix, right-hand side, and initial
solution vectors have been constructed without any issues). However, when
trying to compute the norm of any vector I get and error. Running the same
program with the debug option on, I get the message shown below. I tried
valgrind but did not help. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Adolfo

[0]PETSC ERROR:
[0]PETSC ERROR: Caught signal number 11 SEGV: Segmentation Violation,
probably memory access out of range
[0]PETSC ERROR: Try option -start_in_debugger or -on_error_attach_debugger
[0]PETSC ERROR: or see
https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html#valgrind
[0]PETSC ERROR: or try http://valgrind.org on GNU/linux and Apple Mac OS X
to find memory corruption errors
[0]PETSC ERROR: likely location of problem given in stack below
[0]PETSC ERROR: ---------------------  Stack Frames
------------------------------------
[0]PETSC ERROR: Note: The EXACT line numbers in the stack are not available,
[0]PETSC ERROR:       INSTEAD the line number of the start of the function
[0]PETSC ERROR:       is given.
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] BLASasum line 259
/home/rodriad/CODE/petsc-3.12.3/src/vec/vec/impls/seq/bvec2.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] VecNorm_Seq line 221
/home/rodriad/CODE/petsc-3.12.3/src/vec/vec/impls/seq/bvec2.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: [0] VecNorm line 213
/home/rodriad/CODE/petsc-3.12.3/src/vec/vec/interface/rvector.c
[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: Signal received
[0]PETSC ERROR: See https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html for
trouble shooting.
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.12.3, Jan, 03, 2020
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unknown Name on a arch-linux-oxy-dbg named ohylrss0 by
rodriad Thu Mar  5 10:08:03 2020
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --with-debugging=yes
--with-mpi-dir=/apps/Intel/XEcluster/compilers_and_libraries_2018.0.128/linux/mpi/intel64
COPTFLAGS=-debug CXXOPTFLAGS=-debug FOPTFLAGS=-debug
PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux-oxy-dbg
[0]PETSC ERROR: #1 User provided function() line 0 in  unknown file
application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 59) - process 0