[petsc-users] Adaptive remeshing/refining using DMPlex

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 12:30:05 CDT 2020

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 3:42 AM Prateek Gupta <prateekgupta1709 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I intend to implement adaptive remeshing and refining in my FE code.
> Currently, I am not using the DMPlex class of PETSc. As anyone would be
> able to guess, renumbering of mesh nodes and then , in some cases, load
> balancing via repartitioning requires a lot of book keeping.
>
> 1. I am wondering if DMPlex has built in functions which could be used to
> automatically renumber the mesh upon operations like edge-flipping in
> tetrahedra?

You normally do not need to renumber here, since you start and end with the
same number of entities, but the topology changes. This is fairly easy to
do in Plex
(DMPlexSetCone), but the problem is that these algorithms routinely run
over parallel partitions, which is difficult to manage.

> 2. If not, then does DAG representation of the grid offer any
> ease/performance benefits, if I had to go down and implement?

I think so. Some papers are listed here:
https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/DMPLEX/index.html

> 3. Upon adaptive refining and coarsening, is there a way to dynamically
> update my global solution vectors (defined on nodes)? Or do I have to
> destroy old vectors and reallocate?

Destroy and reallocate. This is not normally a performance bottleneck, and
it would be interesting to see a case where it was.

We have interfaces to p4est (mature) and Pragmatic (not mature).