[petsc-users] Adaptive remeshing/refining using DMPlex

Prateek Gupta prateekgupta1709 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 03:41:35 CDT 2020

Hi,
I intend to implement adaptive remeshing and refining in my FE code.
Currently, I am not using the DMPlex class of PETSc. As anyone would be
able to guess, renumbering of mesh nodes and then , in some cases, load
balancing via repartitioning requires a lot of book keeping.

1. I am wondering if DMPlex has built in functions which could be used to
automatically renumber the mesh upon operations like edge-flipping in
tetrahedra?

2. If not, then does DAG representation of the grid offer any
ease/performance benefits, if I had to go down and implement?

3. Upon adaptive refining and coarsening, is there a way to dynamically
update my global solution vectors (defined on nodes)? Or do I have to
destroy old vectors and reallocate?

Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated :)

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Prateek Gupta, PhD
D-MAVT, ETHZ