[petsc-users] How to add a source term for PETSCFV ?

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Mon Jul 20 08:33:21 CDT 2020

If you search for (-i) "boundary" in ts/ex11.c you will see several
examples of setting BCs with ghost cells in FV.

Don't worry about hyperbolic per se. The PETSc interface is very abstract:
G(x,xdot,t) = F(x,t), or something like that. You can decide which side of
the equation to put each of your terms.

I'm not sure what you mean by derivatives of the context variables, but I
see that FV does not seem to have the auxiliary variable support that FE
has, where we take spatial derivatives of anything that you want.

If you want to have context variables in your cells so that you can take
derivatives in your Riemann solver then you could add dummy variables to
your system like Identity*q = Q. Then q would be in the L/R state variables.

Hope this helps,
Mark