[petsc-users] How to add a source term for PETSCFV ?

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu thibault.bridelbertomeu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 04:26:58 CDT 2020

Dear all,

I have been studying ex11.c from ts/tutorials to understand how to solve an
hyperbolic system of equations using PETSCFV. I first worked on the Euler
equations for inviscid fluids and based on what ex11.c presents, I was able
to add the right PETSc instructions in an already existing in-house code
with different gas models  to solve the problems in parallel (MPI) and with
the AMR capabilities offered by P4EST.

Now my goal is to move to Navier-Stokes equations. Theoretically the system
is not completely hyperbolic and can be seen as one with an hyperbolic part
(identical to the Euler equations) and a parabolic part coming from the RHS
diffusion terms.
I have been looking into the manual and also the sources of PETSc around
the DM, DMPlex, DS and FV classes but I could not find anything that speaks
to me as "adding a RHS to an hyperbolic system of equations" or "adding a
source term to an hyperbolic system of equations". What's more, that source
term depends on the derivatives of the context variables ...

I wanted to know if anyone maybe had a suggestion regarding this issue ?

Thank you very much in advance,

Thibault Bridel-Bertomeu
—
Eng, MSc, PhD