[petsc-users] Support for full jacobianP in TSSetIJacobianP

Salazar De Troya, Miguel salazardetro1 at llnl.gov
Fri Dec 18 10:58:14 CST 2020

Yes, that is the case I am considering. The special case I am concerned about is as following: the heat equation in variational form and in firedrake/UFL notation is as follows: p*u_t*v*dx + inner(grad(u), grad(v))*dx = 0, where u is the temperature, u_t is its time derivative, v is just the test function, dx is the integration domain and p is the design parameter. If “p” were discontinuous, one can’t just factor “p” into the second term due to the divergence theorem. Meaning that p*u_t*v*dx + inner(grad(u), grad(v))*dx = 0 is different than u_t*v*dx + inner(1.0 / p * grad(u), grad(v))*dx = 0, which is what ideally one would obtain in order to adapt to the current interface in TSAdjoint.

Thanks
Miguel