[petsc-users] Best practices for solving Dense Linear systems

Barry Smith bsmith at petsc.dev
Fri Aug 7 00:50:48 CDT 2020

  What is the output of -ksp_view  for the two case?

  It is not only the matrix format but also the matrix solver that matters. For example if you are using an iterative solver the elemental format won't be faster, you should use the PETSc MPIDENSE format. The elemental format is really intended when you use a direct LU solver for the matrix. For tiny matrices like this an iterative solver could easily be faster than the direct solver, it depends on the conditioning (eigenstructure) of the dense matrix. Also the default PETSc solver uses block Jacobi with ILU on each process if using a sparse format, ILU applied to a dense matrix is actually LU so your solver is probably different also between the MPIAIJ and the elemental.

  Barry