[petsc-users] Best practices for solving Dense Linear systems

Nidish nb25 at rice.edu
Fri Aug 7 00:30:18 CDT 2020

Thank you for the response.

I've just been running some tests with matrices up to 2e4 dimensions (dense). When I compared the solution times for "-mat_type elemental" and "-mat_type mpiaij" running with 4 cores, I found the mpidense versions running way faster than elemental. I have not been able to make the elemental version finish up for 2e4 so far (my patience runs out faster).

What's going on here? I thought elemental was supposed to be superior for dense matrices.

I can share the code if that's appropriate for this forum (sorry, I'm new here).

Nidish