[petsc-users] Meaning of PETSc error code 77

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 12:00:13 CST 2019

 Hi Aditya,

I wouldn't trust FEniCS' wrappers around PETSc. It might also depend on the
version of DOLFIN you're working with.

Shameless plug: Try using pfibs

https://github.com/NREL/pfibs

 We wrote a slightly better PETSc interface to FEniCS. It does require
FEniCS 2018.1.0 or higher. This should at least give better error logs for
your problem.

Also I know a lot of PETSc solvers rely on some sort of DM, which FEniCS
(at the moment) does not automatically provide. We have a pFibs branch
which attaches a DMShell to your functionspace.

https://github.com/NREL/pfibs/tree/dm-nested-solver-feature

It's still in its early stages, but it should at least be able to handle
the PETScOptions you've set above.

Hopefully this helps,
Justin