[petsc-users] Argument out of range error only in certain mpi sizes

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 10 13:22:21 CDT 2019

   Sajid,

     This code won't work. You are assuming that neighbors to the north and south can be obtained from set_col = i + My and set_col = i - My. This is simply incorrect. The global number of unknowns in PETSc is by process (not natural ordering on the entire domain) this is why the PETSc examples that use DMDA us either MatSetValueStencil() or MatSetValuesLocal(). Since your problem has a simple stencil you should use the MatSetValuesStencil() approach and loop over the local part of the grid, not over the local rows of the matrix. Copy one of the src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials examples as a starting point.

   Barry

A side note not directly related to the current problem.  You are storing both physical quantities (lambs, energy) and grid quantities (mx, my ...) in the AppCtx. We don't recommend this, better to just store the physical quantities there and to retrieve the grid quantities in the code from the DMDA object whenever you need them (usually with calls to DMDAGetInfo() instead of hardwiring them into the AppCtx. The reason you want to separate the problem specific stuff from the grid specific stuff is so that your functions can be called for different DMDA (for examples calling RHSMatrixFreeSpace for compute the matrix for each level of multigrid) without having to change stuff in the AppCtx between each call to match the "current" grid.  Your current handling is not "wrong" it is just perhaps not the most desirable design.