[petsc-users] Parallel LU with MPIDENSE

David Sommer david97sommer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 09:58:21 CDT 2018

Hello,

i was trying to solve a linear system with a MPIDENSE matrix. I did
PC pc;
KSPGetPC(solver, &pc);
PCSetType(pc, PCLU);
KSPSetOperators(solver, a_petsc, a_petsc);
for some KSP solver and some Mat a_petsc. When i run the code sequentially
(mpirun -n 1) it works, but once i start it in parallel it breaks with the
error message

*[0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[0]PETSC ERROR: See
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/linearsolvertable.html
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/linearsolvertable.html> for
possible LU and Cholesky
solvers
[0]PETSC ERROR: Could not locate a solver package. Perhaps you must
./configure with
--download-<package>
[0]PETSC ERROR: See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html> for trouble
shooting.
[0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.9.3,
unknown
[0]PETSC ERROR: Unknown Name on a arch-linux2-c-debug named manjaroDesktop
by david Tue Oct  2 16:47:10
2018
[0]PETSC ERROR: Configure options --download-superlu_dist
--download-parmetis --download-metis
--download-ptscotch
[0]PETSC ERROR: #1 MatGetFactor() line 4328 in
/home/david/lib/petsc/src/mat/interface/matrix.c     *

I recompiled petsc with the recommended options (and also trying some other
options) but the error persists. on the linear solve table there is an X at
the required solver package column for dense LU. What does it mean? On
https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-3.2/docs/linearsolvertable.html
it says "PLAPACK". Did you deprecate it? What is the replacement?

Thanks

David Sommer