[petsc-users] Compile petsc using intel mpi

Edoardo alinovi edoardo.alinovi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:12:09 CST 2018

Hello guys,

thank you very much for you suggestions and sorry for getting back you
late. Unfortunately, actually my attempts to compile with intel are not
successful.

Here my command:

sudo ./configure --prefix=/home/edo/software/petsc-3.10.2
PETSC_ARCH=arch-intel-opt --with-cc=mpiicc --with-cxx=mpiiccp
--with-fc=mpiifort FOPTFLAGS='-O3' COPTFLAGS='-O3' CXXOPTFLAGS='-O3'
--with-blas-lapack-dir=/home/edo/intel/mkl/lib/intel64/ --with-debugging=no
--download-fblaslapack=1 --download-superlu_dist --download-mumps
--download-hypre --download-metis --download-parmetis

The log file states that:

------------------ LOG ------------------

TEST checkCCompiler from
config.setCompilers(/home/edo/software/petsc_intel/config/BuildSystem/config/setCompilers.py:587)
TESTING: checkCCompiler from
config.setCompilers(config/BuildSystem/config/setCompilers.py:587)
  Locate a functional C compiler
Checking for program /usr/sbin/mpiicc...not found
Checking for program /usr/bin/mpiicc...not found
Checking for program /sbin/mpiicc...not found
Checking for program /bin/mpiicc...not found
Checking for program
/home/edo/software/petsc_intel/lib/petsc/bin/win32fe/mpiicc...not found
         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for
details):
C compiler you provided with -with-cc=mpiicc does not work.

------------------------------------

It seems that petsc is not able to find mpiicc. However, the path to intel
is well defined in my .bashrc and I can easily compile a test file with
those compiler.

if I put the full path in --with-cc= ...  then I get:

------------------ LOG ------------------

TEST checkCCompiler from
config.setCompilers(/home/edo/software/petsc_intel/config/BuildSystem/config/setCompilers.py:587)
TESTING: checkCCompiler from
config.setCompilers(config/BuildSystem/config/setCompilers.py:587)
  Locate a functional C compiler
Checking for program
/home/edo/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpiicc...found
                Defined make macro "CC" to
"/home/edo/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpiicc"
                Pushing language C
                            All intermediate test results are stored in
/tmp/petsc-ZLGfap
                          All intermediate test results are stored in
/tmp/petsc-ZLGfap/config.setCompilers
Executing:
/home/edo/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpiicc
-c -o /tmp/petsc-ZLGfap/config.setCompilers/conftest.o
-I/tmp/petsc-ZLGfap/config.setCompilers
 /tmp/petsc-ZLGfap/config.setCompilers/conftest.c
Possible ERROR while running compiler: exit code 32512
stderr:
/home/edo/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpiicc:
line 557: icc: command not found
Source:
#include "confdefs.h"
#include "conffix.h"

int main() {
;
  return 0;
}
                Popping language C
            Error testing C compiler: Cannot compile C with
/home/edo/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019/linux/mpi/intel64/bin/mpiicc.
              Deleting "CC"

Do you see any error in my setup?

Thank you very much!

------