[petsc-users] [petsc-maint] Correct use of PCFactorSetMatOrderingType

Edoardo alinovi edoardo.alinovi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 02:40:44 CST 2018

Hello Mark,

Yes, there are 5 KSP calls within a time-step (3 for the solution of
momentum equation + 2 for the solution of pressure), this is the classical
non iterative PISO by Issa ( the exact sequence of operations is : solve
momentum implicitly, solve pressure-correction, momentum explicitly,
pressure correction). The pressure correction equation ,which is something
similar to a Poisson equation for incompressible flows, is the one that
determines the overall performance in my code such as in the others.
Usually, when the pressure is being solved for the second time, the
solution is faster since there is a better input guess and, as in my case,
the preconditioner is not recomputed again.

Have you got some advices for the multigrid configuration in this scenario,
which are not the default one, in order to increase performances?

I do not know if this may impact  drastically the performance, but I am
running on a E4 workstation with 16 Intel's Xeon processors (2.3GH/12MB
cache)  and 128GB of RAM .

Thank you very much for your helpful comments,

Edoardo
------

Edoardo Alinovi, Ph.D.

DICCA, Scuola Politecnica