[petsc-users] using PETSC_NULL_INTEGER in preallocation routines

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 14 10:52:22 CDT 2018

> On May 14, 2018, at 10:45 AM, Sanjay Govindjee <s_g at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Barry,
>   Is it then incorrect (and potentially dangerous) to use PETSC_NULL_INTEGER(1) for these arguments, even if that
> currently works?

   I thought you got warnings or errors because you are passing an array instead of a value?

   Anyways since Fortran is pass by reference passing either a PetscInt   II or  PetscInt II(1) does the same things but modern Fortran compilers require you to pass a scalar when expected (II) and an array when expected (II(1)) otherwise the compiler warns or errors. Better to pass what is expected, in this case a 0.

    Barry