[petsc-users] PETSc-MUMPS interface, numeric and symbolic factorisation

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 11 10:13:18 CDT 2018

> On May 11, 2018, at 8:14 AM, Y. Shidi <ys453 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
>> How are you changing the matrix? Do you remember to assemble?
> I use MatCreateMPIAIJWithArrays() to create the matrix,
> and after that I call MatAssemblyBegin() and MatAssemblyEnd().

  If you use MatCreateMPIAIJWithArrays() you don't need to call MatAssemblyBegin() and MatAssemblyEnd().

> But I actually destroy the matrix at the end of each iteration
> and create the matrix at the beginning of each iteration.

   This is a bug in PETSc. Since you are providing a new matrix with the same "state" value as the previous matrix the PC code the following code
kicks in:

  ierr = PetscObjectStateGet((PetscObject)pc->pmat,&matstate);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  ierr = MatGetNonzeroState(pc->pmat,&matnonzerostate);CHKERRQ(ierr);
  if (!pc->setupcalled) {
    ierr            = PetscInfo(pc,"Setting up PC for first time\n");CHKERRQ(ierr);
    pc->flag        = DIFFERENT_NONZERO_PATTERN;
  } else if (matstate == pc->matstate) {
    ierr = PetscInfo(pc,"Leaving PC with identical preconditioner since operator is unchanged\n");CHKERRQ(ierr);
    PetscFunctionReturn(0);

and it returns without refactoring.

   We need an additional check that the matrix also remains the same.

    We will also need a test example that reproduces the problem to confirm that we have fixed it.

  Barry

> [...]
>> How are you changing the matrix? Do you remember to assemble?
>>  Matt
>>> Iteration 0 Step 0.0005 Time 0.0005
>>> [INFO]: Direct Solver setup
>>> MatCholeskyFactorSymbolic_MUMPS
>>> finish MatCholeskyFactorSymbolic_MUMPS
>>> MatFactorNumeric_MUMPS
>>> finish MatFactorNumeric_MUMPS
>>> MatSolve_MUMPS
>>> Iteration 1 Step 0.0005 Time 0.0005
>>> MatSolve_MUMPS
>>> Iteration 2 Step 0.0005 Time 0.001
>>> MatSolve_MUMPS
>>> [INFO]: End of program!!!
>>> I am wondering if there is any possibility to split the numeric
>>> and solve stage (as you mentioned using KSPSolve).
>>> Thank you very much indeed.
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Shidi
>>> On 2018-05-04 21:10, Y. Shidi wrote:
>>> Thank you very much for your reply.
>>> That is really clear.
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Shidi
>>> On 2018-05-04 21:05, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>>> On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 3:54 PM, Y. Shidi <ys453 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Dear Matt,
>>> Thank you very much for your reply!
>>> So what you mean is that I can just do the KSPSolve() every
>>> iteration
>>> once the MUMPS is set?
>>> Yes.
>>> That means inside the KSPSolve() the numerical factorization is
>>> performed. If that is the case, it seems that the ksp object is
>>> not changed when the values in the matrix are changed.
>>> Yes.
>>> Or do I need to call both KSPSetOperators() and KSPSolve()?
>>> If you do SetOperators, it will redo the factorization. If you do
>>> not,
>>> it will look
>>> at the Mat object, determine that the structure has not changed,
>>> and
>>> just redo
>>> the numerical factorization.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Matt
>>> On 2018-05-04 14:44, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>>> On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 9:40 AM, Y. Shidi <ys453 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Dear PETSc users,
>>> I am currently using MUMPS to solve linear systems directly.
>>> Generally, we use ICNTL(7) or ICNTL(29) to do the preprocessing
>>> step and then solve the system.
>>> In my code, the values in the matrix is changed in each iteration,
>>> but the structure of the matrix stays the same, which means the
>>> performance can be improved if symbolic factorisation is only
>>> performed once. Hence, it is necessary to split the symbolic
>>> and numeric factorisation. However, I cannot find a specific step
>>> (control parameter) to perform the numeric factorisation.
>>> I have used ICNTL(3) and ICNTL(4) to print the MUMPS information,
>>> it seems that the symbolic and numeric factorisation always perform
>>> together.
>>> If you use KSPSolve instead, it will automatically preserve the
>>> factorization.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Matt
>>> So I am wondering if anyone has an idea about it.
>>> Below is how I set up MUMPS solver:
>>> PC pc;
>>> PetscBool flg_mumps, flg_mumps_ch;
>>> flg_mumps = PETSC_FALSE;
>>> flg_mumps_ch = PETSC_FALSE;
>>> PetscOptionsGetBool(NULL, NULL, "-use_mumps_lu", &flg_mumps,
>>> NULL);
>>> PetscOptionsGetBool(NULL, NULL, "-use_mumps_ch", &flg_mumps_ch,
>>> NULL);
>>> if(flg_mumps ||flg_mumps_ch)
>>> {
>>> KSPSetType(_ksp, KSPPREONLY);
>>> PetscInt ival,icntl;
>>> PetscReal val;
>>> KSPGetPC(_ksp, &pc);
>>> /// Set preconditioner type
>>> if(flg_mumps)
>>> {
>>> PCSetType(pc, PCLU);
>>> }
>>> else if(flg_mumps_ch)
>>> {
>>> MatSetOption(A, MAT_SPD, PETSC_TRUE);
>>> PCSetType(pc, PCCHOLESKY);
>>> }
>>> PCFactorSetMatSolverPackage(pc, MATSOLVERMUMPS);
>>> PCFactorSetUpMatSolverPackage(pc);
>>> PCFactorGetMatrix(pc, &_F);
>>> icntl = 7; ival = 0;
>>> MatMumpsSetIcntl( _F, icntl, ival );
>>> MatMumpsSetIcntl(_F, 3, 6);