[petsc-users] Copy MPIAIJ Matrix onto MPISeq Matrices on All Processors

Ali Berk Kahraman aliberkkahraman at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 09:11:07 CDT 2018

First of all, thank you for elaboration.

The problem is, I want to generate J myself, using FD, for the following
reason.

I have a WORLD matrix M that I feed into F(u) using user defined context
pointer *ctx. And I call collective functions on that matrix.

I call a for loop inside CreateJacobian function to perturb the F()
entries one by one. But since I have collective calls on a WORLD matrix
M inside F, I have to do this virtually sequentially(not "truly"
sequential, but other processes must wait while one is calling F()). I
cannot have two different processes perturb the u vector at different
locations, this confuses the collective calls on that matrix (or so I
have observed, maybe there was another bug in my code.).

Here, what I want to do is to have a SELF copy of the u vector and the
input matrix M to F() on every process, so every process can
independently work the data. So, I need a way to copy the WORLD matrix
into SELF. My current idea is to write the WORLD matrix as a binary
file, and read it into a SELF matrix.

I am aware that what I want to do should be done using coloring, much
memory and time effective. But, I am working on adaptive grid finite
differences so there is not an easy way to create coloring on my grid.
If there is a Petsc function that generates the coloring for me, I can
also try it.

My apologies, even the simple form got this long :)