[petsc-users] Copy MPIAIJ Matrix onto MPISeq Matrices on All Processors

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:30:23 CDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Ali Berk Kahraman <
aliberkkahraman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> First of all, thank you for elaboration.
>
> The problem is, I want to generate J myself, using FD, for the following
> reason.

Okay. This generation should happen entirely inside FormJacobian(), so you
do not need MFFD.

> I have a WORLD matrix M that I feed into F(u) using user defined context
> pointer *ctx. And I call collective functions on that matrix.

That should be fine. To be very precise, when you create the SNES, you give
it a comm. The FormFunction() and FormJacobian()
functions are collective on this comm.

> I call a for loop inside CreateJacobian function to perturb the F()
> entries one by one. But since I have collective calls on a WORLD matrix M
> inside F, I have to do this virtually sequentially(not "truly" sequential,
> but other processes must wait while one is calling F()). I cannot have two
> different processes perturb the u vector at different locations, this
> confuses the collective calls on that matrix (or so I have observed, maybe
> there was another bug in my code.).

Okay, this is a "bug" in your FD algorithm. What collective calls are you
making when doing the finite difference?

Note that if you really do need collective calls, then you are serializing
the construction of this matrix, meaning no matter
how many procs you use, the sequence will still be as long as one proc. If,
however, that is really what you want, then
you need to make sure that everyone calls that function for each
perturbation. This means you need to tell everyone how
many calls they need to make (either sum(perturbations) or
max(perturbations) depending on what you are doing). You
can use MPI_Allreduce() for this at the start of your function.

> Here, what I want to do is to have a SELF copy of the u vector and the
> input matrix M to F() on every process, so every process can independently
> work the data. So, I need a way to copy the WORLD matrix into SELF. My
> current idea is to write the WORLD matrix as a binary file, and read it
> into a SELF matrix.

That is really nonscalable. I cannot believe this is really what you want
to do. However, you can do it using
VecScatterCreateToAll() and

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Mat/MatCreateSubMatrices.html

However, I would write out the algorithm in more detail than you have
explained it here. So far, I am not
convinced you should be doing this.