[petsc-users] Copy MPIAIJ Matrix onto MPISeq Matrices on All Processors

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 08:47:17 CDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 9:31 AM, Ali Berk Kahraman <
aliberkkahraman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank your for the reply.
>
> I have tried it, but could not get it to work. For it to work, I have to
> know at which vector entry the epsilon in the FD approximation is to be
> added. It is an input for my inexpensive function, and I could not find a
> way to pass it in using MFFD context.

MFFD has it in the context as current_u. There is no accessor, but we can
easily write one. However, that is not how MFFD works. Here is the idea:

  You give us a function F, your inexpensive function. We get to call F
however we want to call it, and produce the action of the matrix. So for
instance,
  we could do this

    F(x + h u) - F(x)
    ---------------------
             h ||u||

  but we do not have to do that. You should not worry about how we perturb
the function, you just return the value of the function when we call it.

> I have been trying to get it working with PETSC_COMM_WORLD too with no
> luck. My guess is that my FormRHSFunction becomes a collective function on
> WORLD, so I cannot generate many separate copies each doing its own thing.
> For this reason I am trying to move it to SELF, but I cannot do that if I
> cannot find a way to represent my WORLD matrix input fully on each process.

I think things have gotten too confused here for us to help. Lets step back
and simplify. Can you tell us briefly exactly what you want to accomplish?
I will start by
explaining SNES. We are essentially doing Newton's method. This means
calculating a step du, based on an initial solution u, using this equation

  J(u) du = -F(u)

so we need a function to form the residual F, and maybe the Jacobian J but
we can also form it using calls to F.

It sounds like you want to do something inside F, but I cannot figure out
what yet.