[petsc-users] the role of field split pressure inner solver

John johnlucassaturday at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 15:55:29 CDT 2018

Hello:

I just have a very general question with regard to the Schur complement. In
the literature (e.g. H. Elman, et al. A taxonomy and comparison of parallel
block multi-level preconditioners for the incompressible Navier-Stokes
equations), people discuss the preconditioner for the Schur (SIMPLE, PCD,
LSC etc.), the role of the inner solver in the exact Schur is rarely
mentioned. My limited numerical experience is that the inner solver affects
the convergence rate (hence robustness) at least.

My general question is that why do most people ignore the inner solver
inside Schur? Is it non-important, or is it bad for parallel scaling?

Thanks!

John