[petsc-users] Choosing the best solvers for ISPH

Smith, Barry F. bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 17 11:46:59 CDT 2018

   Algebraic multigrid has a variety of options that can effect convergence, you can find some of them at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/PC/PCGAMG.html  these are the options you should try to improve convergence.

   Changing the Krylov solver, as you discovered is generally not important to improve the speed of algebraic multigrid (just stick to the default KSPGMRES).

   You can also try hypre's boomeramg with the option -pc_type hypre  (you will need to ./configure PETSc with the option --download-hypre). hypre is a very good AMG implementation and may beat the one in PETSc.

   Barry

   But note that all the solvers in PETSc (and most on the web) are designed for finite element/finite difference discretizations, they are not designed for discretizations such as ISPH so they may not work particularly well for ISPH discretizations. You should do a web search for solvers customized for ISPH (I don't know if any exist).