[petsc-users] Periodic domains in DMPlex / petsc4py

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 08:04:56 CST 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 9:01 AM Artur Palha Da Silva Clérigo - LR via
petsc-users <petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I having been trying to add periodic domain functionality to my code. I am
> able to generate a periodic mesh with gmsh and load it using dmplex. The
> problem is that I am unable to have a numbering of the degrees of freedom
> that reflects the periodicity (they are numbered as if there was no
> periodicity).

Why would there be a difference? They should be numbered in the same way.

> I read this thread:
> https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/petsc-users/2018-October/036539.html
>
> There it is mentioned that DMLocalizeCoordinates is required after loading
> the mesh.

Yes, this makes cell-wise coordinates, which have a jump at the periodic
boundary.

> My questions are the following:
>
> 1. Is it correct that I need to run DMLocalizeCoordinates on my DM?

Yes.

> 2. I am currently using petsc4py but I am unable to find
> DMLocalizeCoordinates. Is this functionality missing or is there an
> alternative to it?\

Its possible no wrapper has been written for this yet. Lisandro, is it
missing? (I am at a meeting, or I would check).