[petsc-users] SNES ex12 visualization

Kong, Fande fande.kong at inl.gov
Thu Sep 14 11:10:53 CDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Adriano Côrtes <adrimacortes at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Matthew,
>>
>> Thank you for your return. It worked, but this prompts another question.
>> So why PetscViewer does not write both files (.h5 and .xmf) directly,
>> instead of having to post-proc the .h5 file (in serial)?
>>

> 1) Maintenance: Changing the Python is much easier than changing the C you
> would add to generate it
>
> 2) Performance: On big parallel system, writing files is expensive so I
> wanted to minimize what I had to do.
>
> 3) Robustness: Moving 1 file around is much easier than remembering 2. I
> just always regenerate the xdmf when needed.
>

>> And what about big 3D simulations? PETSc always serialize the output of
>> the distributed dmplex? Is there a way to output one .h5 per mesh
>> partition?
>>

> Given the way I/O is structured on big machines, we believe the multiple
> file route is a huge mistake. Also, all our measurements
> say that sending some data on the network is not noticeable given the disk
> access costs.

I have slightly different things here. We tried the serial output, it looks
really slow for large-scale problems, and the first processor often runs
out of memory because of gathering all data from other processor cores. The
parallel IO runs smoothly and much faster than I excepted. We have done
experiments with ten thousands  of cores for a problem with 1 billion of
unknowns. I did not see any concern so far.

Fande,