[petsc-users] SNES ex12 visualization

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 10:47:26 CDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Adriano Côrtes <adrimacortes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Matthew,
>
> Thank you for your return. It worked, but this prompts another question.
> So why PetscViewer does not write both files (.h5 and .xmf) directly,
> instead of having to post-proc the .h5 file (in serial)?

1) Maintenance: Changing the Python is much easier than changing the C you
would add to generate it

2) Performance: On big parallel system, writing files is expensive so I
wanted to minimize what I had to do.

3) Robustness: Moving 1 file around is much easier than remembering 2. I
just always regenerate the xdmf when needed.

> And what about big 3D simulations? PETSc always serialize the output of
> the distributed dmplex? Is there a way to output one .h5 per mesh
> partition?

Given the way I/O is structured on big machines, we believe the multiple
file route is a huge mistake. Also, all our measurements
say that sending some data on the network is not noticeable given the disk
access costs.