[petsc-users] help me to solve 6-dim PDE with PETSc with advice

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 13:46:37 CDT 2017

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Oleksandr Koshkarov <olk548 at mail.usask.ca>
wrote:

> Thanks for the references, and warning.
>
> I am trying to do exactly this
>
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021999115004738
>
> (I probably should have added the reference in the first place, sorry)
>
> the evolution formula is (15) in the article.
>
> So, I will do convolution only in 3D (while full system is 6D) because
> velocity space is not discretized with Fourier
>
> So As I understand, it will not be N^2 vs N logN. Moreover, I know that
> algorithm with FFT has significantly larger "constant".
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong here :)
>
> I think you are wrong here. First, I do not understand why you think the
asymptotics have changed. Second, the constant for
FFT is about 6, which would be really hard to beat with a quadrature.

Last, this discretization looks fully coupled to me. I cannot see how you
would parallelize this right off the bat. This is a problem
with spectral discretizations, and the main motivator for spectral elements.

http://www.caam.rice.edu/~mk51/