[petsc-users] Rectangular matrices turned into square?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 12 15:04:36 CDT 2017

 Are you talking about the below?  If so, I suspect that the code is actually generating a square matrix, not a rectangular one. Hypre definitely cannot handle rectangular matrices.

   Barry

PC Object: 2 MPI processes
  type: hypre
    HYPRE BoomerAMG preconditioning
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Cycle type V
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Maximum number of levels 25
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Maximum number of iterations PER hypre call 1
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Convergence tolerance PER hypre call 0.
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Threshold for strong coupling 0.25
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Interpolation truncation factor 0.
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Interpolation: max elements per row 0
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Number of levels of aggressive coarsening 0
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Number of paths for aggressive coarsening 1
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Maximum row sums 0.9
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Sweeps down         1
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Sweeps up           1
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Sweeps on coarse    1
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Relax down          symmetric-SOR/Jacobi
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Relax up            symmetric-SOR/Jacobi
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Relax on coarse     Gaussian-elimination
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Relax weight  (all)      1.
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Outer relax weight (all) 1.
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Using CF-relaxation
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Not using more complex smoothers.
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Measure type        local
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Coarsen type        Falgout
    HYPRE BoomerAMG: Interpolation type  classical
  linear system matrix = precond matrix:
  Mat Object:   2 MPI processes
    type: mpiaij
    rows=2112, cols=2112, bs=2
    total: nonzeros=29056, allocated nonzeros=29056
    total number of mallocs used during MatSetValues calls =0
      using I-node (on process 0) routines: found 531 nodes, limit used is 5