[petsc-users] Matrix-free vs finite differenced Jacobian approximation

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 10:43:03 CST 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Alexander Lindsay <
alexlindsay239 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not using any hand-coded Jacobians.

This looks to me like the rules for FormFunction/Jacobian() are being
broken. If the residual function
depends on some third variable, and it changes between calls independent of
the solution U, then
the stored Jacobian could look wrong, but one done every time on the fly
might converge.

   Matt